SAEP consists of two sister non-profit organisations:
- SAEP (SA), the organisation’s operational arm, was registered as a South African non-profit organisation (NPO) in 2003 and as a public benefit organisation (PB0) in 2005. It is governed by a management committee based in Cape Town.
- Donations made to SAEP (SA) are eligible for Section 18A Tax certificates
- Donations made to SAEP (SA) earn B-BBEE points for Skills Developement and Socio Economic Development (SED)
- SAEP-USA, a US-based 501(c)(3) charitable corporation, was founded in 1994. It raises funds for and makes grants to SAEP (SA), which reports on how the funds are used. SAEP-USA is governed by a Board of Directors based in the United States.
- Donations to SAEP-USA are tax-deductible in the United States